When using the HousingAlerts system, here is the sequence to follow when searching for hot local markets, hot counties, hot zip codes, or hot neighborhoods:
Do NOT to drill down to zip code level UNTIL you have evaluated and chosen a strong appreciating market at the metropolitan city level – because zip code “micro-markets” follow what’s happening in the overall city-level markets. Many investors think a hot micro-market in an otherwise flat or declining market is OK, but it’s not. And, that’s because the zip code micro-market will eventually equalize with the overall local market.
With this said, here’s the “sequence” of steps to follow:
2) Once you find an attractive local market, check its Summary Market Scoring Report and verify that it’s indeed a strong market with good momentum and in the Wealth Phase (Market Strength – TAPS tool, Momentum – STAR tool, Wealth Phase – Wealth Phase Chart).
3) The third step would be to visit Micro Maps, find the desired local market on the map, and then zoom in to find an appreciating micro-market.
4) An easier and quicker method at this point in the sequence is to visit the Micro Ranking Tools. With these tools, you can quickly find the hottest counties, zip codes, and neighborhoods within any market on your list!
- County Ranking tool – identify the hottest counties within your state – in a single click!
- Zip code Ranking tool – identify the hottest zip codes within your state – in a single click!
- Neighborhood ranking tool – identify the hottest neighborhoods within your state – in a single click!
Here are the User Guides to the above tools:
New Micro Market Ranking Tools – User Guide (County Ranking, Zip Code Ranking, and Neighborhood Ranking)
Last update of the article: 06/02/2020.